Riverwatch – a society for the protection of rivers based in Vienna – is looking for a project coordinator (25h) for a de-damming initiative. This campaign aims to analyze hydropower projects in Central and Eastern Europe and to determine which ones are to be removed due to ecological and/or economic reasons. With this campaign we are trying to implement the de-damming movement, which is already well- established in the US, to Europe. “De-damming” is an initiative by Riverwatch and the German Manfred-Hermsen-Stiftung.
The candidate will be working closely together with Riverwatch’s management in Vienna and will be responsible for the development and implementation of a campaign strategy.
The applicant will be responsible for the following main activities
- to develop and implement a campaign strategy and coordinate campaign activities
- to coordinate scientific studies
- to engage in intensive public and media relations
- to establish a de-damming network
- to lobby on national and EU level
- to manage project administration tasks
- have perennial experience in campaigning and project work
- be communicative, enjoy networking and be acquainted with social networks
- be knowledgeable of the basics of river ecology and have some experience with environmental politics and legislation, as well as with lobby work
- have good organization skills and a high willingness to travel
- be a team player but also able and willing to work autonomously and take on responsibility
- speak excellent German and English (fluent writing and communication skills)
- most importantly, be enthusiastic and motivated to work in river conservation
- a varied and meaningful job in nature conservation
- flexible working hours with a regular employment, home office possible (place of work is Vienna in order to ensure close cooperation with Riverwatch’s management)
- press trips
- a monthly gross salary of approximately €1600 (depending on qualification and experience) for 25 hours/week
- Employment will start in December 2016 and is restricted to 13 month for now. Extension is possible.
Dams are not for eternity!
Please send your application, including a motivation letter (one A4 page max), your CV and preferably 2 references to Cornelia Wieser (firstname.lastname@example.org) by Friday, October 28, 2016.
The job advertisement as PDF for download